“Massage is the only form of physical pleasure to which nature forgot to attach consequences.”
~ Robert Brault
How & Why Aromatherapy Works
The fragrance of an essential oil can directly affect everything from your emotional state to your lifespan. Essential oils work differently than other natural substances, and that makes them unique.
When any scent or fragrance is inhaled, the odor molecules travel up the nose where they are trapped by olfactory membranes that are protected by the lining inside the nose. Each odor molecule fits like a little puzzle piece into specific receptor cell sites that line a membrane, known as the olfactory epithelium. Each one of these hundreds of millions of nerve cells is replaced every 28 days. When stimulated by odor molecules, this lining of nerve cells triggers electrical impulses to the olfactory bulb in the brain. The olfactory bulb then transmits the impulses to the gustatory center (where the sensation of taste is perceived), the amygdala (where emotional memories are stored), and other parts of the limbic system of the brain.
Studies at New York University showed and proved that the amygdala gland (the gland in the limbic system responsible for storing and releasing trauma in the body) does not respond at all to sound, sight, or touch. They found in fact that the amygdala only releases emotional trauma through the sense of smell. It is through our sense of smell and aromatherapy that we can make lasting changes.
Because the limbic system is directly connected to the parts of the brain that control heart rate, blood pressure, breathing, memory, stress levels, and hormone balance, therapeutic-grade essential oils can have profound physiological and psychological effects. The sense of smell is the only one of the five senses directly linked to the limbic lobe of the brain, our emotional control center.
Scent stimulates nerves to fire in the emotional center of the brain, but it also stimulates the master gland to release hormones. Hormones affect the fight/flight response, as well as digestion and heart rate. In this way, essential oils can affect us in many ways all at once, just through their fragrance.
Anxiety, depression, fear, anger, and joy all emanate from this region. The scent of a special fragrance can evoke memories and emotions before we are even consciously aware of it. When smells are concerned, we react first and think later. All other senses (touch, taste, hearing, and sight) are routed through the thalamus, which acts as the switchboard for the brain, passing stimuli onto the cerebral cortex (the conscious thought center) and other parts of the brain.
Now of course, only a therapeutic-grade essential oil can provide benefits such as these and isn’t it nice to know that we have such superior quality essential oils right here through Young Living, which Lucia uses exclusively.
BENEFITS OF DIFFUSING YLE OILS
The benefits of diffusing Young Living essential oils are many and varied. One thing is for certain – it’s a win-win!
• Essential oils kill pathogenic micro-organisms of all kinds.
• World renowned medical researcher, Dr. Jean Valnet M.D., states that essential oils provide remarkable protection against viral infections ranging from shingles to influenza.
• Private research, funded by Young Living Essential Oils. Inc. at Weber State University, successfully demonstrated specific essential oils diffused in a closed chamber killed every virus tested within minutes. Of 74 Young Living single essential oils tested, lemongrass, Roman chamomile, cinnamon, rose, valerian and yarrow scored the highest kill rates.
• Specific Young Living blends of essential oils, like the Thieves blend demonstrated a 99.6% kill rate against airborne bacteria and scored high for its antiviral qualities and anti-fungal qualities. Diffusing essential oils in the home or work place is one of the best ways to purify our environment. The anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and antiseptic properties of the oils, along with the negative ions and oxygenating molecules that are released when essential oils are diffused.
• Cinnamon bark oil, oregano oil, and Thieves (a blend by Young Living Essential Oils) were all tested by Weber State University, and were shown to kill 100% of the airborne bacteria present when diffused into the atmosphere. (KID-Radio with Lance Richardson and Dr. Gary Young, ND, March 5, 1996).
• By diffusing essential oils, or applying them topically to targeted areas of the body, therapeutic constituents reestablish balance where stress or mental discomfort has disrupted healthy emotional function.
NOTE: This article was referenced from “Young Living” archives.